Guest Post: Rachel Carrington


Calling All Readers

I only read romance. That’s what I told myself years ago, and I swore I’d never
move from that genre. After all, it was what I wrote so I knew it and understood it. But
by stating so adamantly I wouldn’t read any other genre, I cut myself off from a wealth of
talent.

Do you ever think that way? You’re only going to read romantic suspense? No
paranormal for you, and there is no way you’d be caught dead reading young adult. After
all, it’s for kids, right? And what about that literary fiction stuff that everyone raves
about? That kind of fiction isn’t for you at all.

Yes, that was me. I just closed a door on anything but romance, and even that was
limited to paranormal only. Then I started reading a book a friend of mine had left beside
her sofa, and I was halfway through it before I realized it wasn’t a romance.

Now, I’m catching up on all the great reads I missed out on including literary
fiction (Sarah’s Key, The Help, and more), non-fiction, young adult fiction (Have you
read a Peachville High book by Sarra Cannon or Wraith by Angel Lawson?), mystery
without romance, and so much more. And an entire new world has opened up for me.

Turns out, I just like great reads, and who cares if it it’s not what I normally read?
Who cares if someone else reads it and doesn’t like it? This is about what I want to read,
and now that I’m discovering all these fantastic writers, my Kindle is almost filled to
capacity.

So before you dismiss a book as “not your type”, you may want to give it a shot
because you might find another favorite writer in amongst the gems. Even if you’re
determined to only read paranormal romance, try different authors. There are so many
great storytellers, and had I not branched out, I would have missed out on some stories
that really left an impression. You might, too, and you’ll know by the first or second
chapter if the book is for you.

Happy reading!

P.S. Oh, and don’t think you’ll like reading a story in the first person? Neither did
I. Now, it’s my favorite point of view to both read and write.

Rachel Carrington can be found on her website: www.dawnrachel.com, Facebook: Rachel Carrington Writes - FB and Twitter: @rcarrington2004

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...